Comments from January 2018

Trenton's Jews - January (Tevet-Shvat) - 2018😊




Anita Ellis

1:59 AM (7 hours ago)
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif
Do you remember Norman's Gift Shop on S Broad?  Rose and Dave Norman were my in-laws as I was married to their son, Arnold.  I lived in Trenton from  1950-1975.  As I remember it, it was the peak of the Trenton Jewish Community.
I loved every minute of those years and my involvement with the community.  Your mail recalls many happy memories for me and I just wanted to say Thank You.

I've been living in Jerusalem for the past 42 years.  What a way to spend the second half of my life!  If you come to Jerusalem, please let us know and we'd like you  to come to Shabbat dinner.                                     

 Cordially

Anita(Sugie) Norman Ellis
cell  053-840-538 
On 1/15/2018 9:39 PM, Arthur L. Finkle wrote:
Sugie

I grew up with Howard Henschel. My Mom worked in the store with Ted and Lilian.

HI!

art finkle

***

Herb and Joan Spiegel

Daniel Kramer z’l also helped myrials of Holocause survivors in securing jobs at his place of work.


***


Michael Kuzma has left a new comment on your post "South Trenton 4": 

Al the map you show reflects "Smitty's Fish Market" the last business below Benny Hock's restaurant. I always remember it as "Abe Zelt's Fish Market" it was on the corner opposite Ben's Deli, and Louie Waldman's Barber shop. Smitty was a fruit man with the two sisters in the store front on Union St. a door or two from Benny Olinsky's hardware Store. Regards to all Mike Kuzma.


***
From: laurie fine
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 6:33 PM
To: ARTHUR HOENIG
Subject: Re: RABBI MORDECHAI MILLER OF TRENTON NJ
 
Dear Arthur,

Thank you so much for helping me with my genealogical study. There are no records of anyone from that family entering the United States, or attaining citizenship under the name of Miller. 

My belief is that the family probably arrived sometime in the 1880’s under some other name. Rabbi Mordechai and his father Rabbi Naftali Michel studied at a Yeshiva in Lithuania. The parents and younger siblings probably took the name Miller so that his younger brother, Albert could gain entrance to medical school. My great grandmother Sarah Dubrah “Miller” Japhe was a younger sibling and her children probably assumed that everyone had the same surname. 

Jewish siblings frequently have children named for the same ancestors, so I sent Arthur Finkle a list with the names of the children born to my Great Grandmother. There were seven children, so maybe three or four would match.

I signed up for a genealogy class and was encouraged to purchase a membership to “ My Heritage”. Do you think it would enable me to find the missing link?

Again, thanks so much for your help!

Laurie 

Comments

  1. Suggie,
    We will be in Israel in August and would love to see you.
    Elyse Parker

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Downtown Trenton, 1929

BobeshelaStaff, 1920's and 1930's

Avraham and Rivkah Swern