Mailbox - March and April 2020


Mar 2020



[Trenton's Jews] New comment on Mailbox March 2019.

Joel Sommer <noreply-comment@blogger.com> Unsubscribe
Apr 8, 2020, 8:51 PM (12 hours ago)
Joel Sommer has left a new comment on your post "Mailbox March 2019":

I was born in Trenton in 1946. At an early age, my grandfather Benjamin Kantor and I would walk to the Union Street Schul on Saturday mornings and during these walks I learned everything I ever needed to know. I know that my grandfather was a leader of the Workers of Truth and if you wanted an aliyah, you went to Mr Kantor.
I read the above article and am trying to put pieces together. My grandfather was the first of siblings to come from Russia and at Ellis Island changed his name from Kantorovitz to Kantor. He was responsible for bringing over his siblings, many of whom were rabbis. i believe that the above referenced Rabbi Kantorowitz was one of his brothers. I did know cousin Rabbi Lev. He lived in a house my grandfather owned and my grandfather partially supported his family. When Rabbi Lev's son was a Bar Mitzvah, our family's relative, the esteemed Rabbi Moshe Feinstein came from New York to attend. My father and I brought him from the train station.
At some time later, Rabbi Lev and my grandfather had a disagreement (I know my grandfather's side of the story) and Rabbi Lev and family left Trenton for Israel. Some years later the congregation moved to West State Street a block past Jr 3. My grandfather lived virtually across the street.
If anyone's interesting in reminiscing further, please contact me. Joel Sommer


Joel Sommer <noreply-comment@blogger.com> Unsubscribe
Wed, Apr 8, 8:51 PM (12 hours ago)
Re: Mercer-Bucks Jewish Historical Society, February 2020   😃

Marlene
Thu, Feb 13, 10:50 AM (2
I will be away for the next few weeks 
But when I return I will also visit one or two of the Trenton cemeteries
And from what you say I will also have a smile on my face
Re: Trenton Jewish History



Estelle Finkle, Jerusalem
Thu, Feb 13, 2:44 PM (2 days ago)
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Cousin Art.  God bless you!

Maybe some day I'll see a Finkle name in a photo or description.

Regards,

Estelle
Re: Mercer-Bucks Jewish Historical Society, February 2020   😀



Thu, Feb 13, 8:31 PM (2 days ago)
Joanne and Dick Hochman in Savannah absolutely love what you do.
Please, keep it up 
All the best
Two recent true Southern Trentonians

Richard Perlman
Sun, Mar 15, 11:54 AM (1 day ago)
to me
Bobbi was married to Norty Millner. His father was Chivelva from Delaware Meat Packing.

Bobbi's maiden name was Schultz. She grew up on Bellevue Ave.
Mercer-Bucks Jewish Historical Society, March 2020  😉

Sybil Cooper 
Sun, Mar 15, 10:01 AM (1 day ago)
Always interesting. Thanks.
Sybil
Re: Mercer-Bucks Jewish Historical Society, March 2020 😉

Estelle Finkle
Sun, Mar 15, 5:52 PM (20 hours ago)
Hello, Art, thank you so much for sending me this.  I was surprised to see a man with my paternal grandfather's name in the Jewish Personalities section, but it wasn't my grandfather.  Well, Finkle was a pretty common name in Trenton once upon a time, I guess.  I also wish there was a photo of the block of N. Broad St. above Perry, where my father's furniture store was.  Anyway, it was a real nostalgia trip seeing the hospital where I assume I was born, and my high school, photos.  Thank you, bless you.  Have a happy rest of Adar.

Cousin Estelle
Mercer-Bucks Jewish Historical Society, March 2020   😄
Inbox
x

Rachel Robbins 
Sun, Mar 15, 5:33 PM (20 hours ago)

Dear Arthur,
What a wonderful edition! Of course I loved the first entry of Trenton personalities—my father’s high school year book photo—but I also enjoyed so many other entries—the history of Trenton’s westward move, the Black Death, the article on the 10 plagues. 
Thank you!
I hope you , LInda and your family stay safe and happy in these difficult days. 
Warmly,
Rachel 

April 2020

Fw: Mercer-Bucks Jewish Historical Society😄




Jerome Montana <biffjam@yahoo.com>

Mon, Apr 13, 1:20 PM (19 hours ago)
Beautiful prayer.
thanks!

jerry
: Trenton Jewish History😊



Estelle Finkle
Mon, Apr 13, 2:33 PM (18 hours ago)
to me
Wow, Art, did you write this?  Thank you, thank you.  We should all say Amen to it.

Blessings, happy rest of Passover,

Estelle
Re: Trenton Jewish History😊


Lisa Ciccone <lisa@local195.org>
Mon, Apr 13, 12:46 PM (20 hours ago)
Hi Art,
Happy & Healthy Passover! Hope you & your family are doing well during this COVID-19 Pandemic.
I always adore all the wonderful historical facts about our Jewish history in Mercer County. And I love the prayer you just sent. Thank you for the Barakas! 

Sincerely, 
Lisa 

PS- wash your hands often! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downtown Trenton, 1929

BobeshelaStaff, 1920's and 1930's

Avraham and Rivkah Swern