Status of Cemeteries - May 2020


Shirley Nabutovsky

 
Amanda,  I was at the cemetery yesterday.  I love the new gates, signage, and sidewalk. I could tell you stories of over 50 years of broken sidewalk, poison ivy on the tombstones along with a huge tree bent over, my dad's grave sinking numerous times, and no access to my grandparents double headstone because of a huge fallen tree.  Those are all cleaned up now.  The tree at my grandparents BASH was taken away a few years ago, however no one, except me, knows that under all the dirt are 2-foot stones each with information of date of death, etc.  I once took a snow shovel and tried to dig but I'm not strong so I gave up. I  once found a gun so I called 911 and Hamilton Twp police took 1 hour to get to the cemetery because they didn't know where it was!  Turns out  it was a BB gun. The police said it was a good thing I called because in that neighborhood you never know.  I have had poison ivy and sumac poisoning from that cemetery many times.  I could also tell you stories of poor record keeping by members of the Workmen's Circle organization.  I'm am truly grateful to all who took an interest and worked diligently on The Jewish Cemetery Project to preserve these cemeteries.
May 2020



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downtown Trenton, 1929

BobeshelaStaff, 1920's and 1930's

Avraham and Rivkah Swern