The Greater Trenton Jewish Cemetery Project

 

To The Greater Trenton Jewish Cemetery Project:

 

I want to take a moment to commend the Greater Trenton Jewish Cemetery Project for all of their hard work in cleaning up the five cemeteries off Pittman Avenue. They look remarkable.

 

My father’s side of the family was from Trenton and I would go with my Dad and uncle to say prayers over the many family members in those five cemeteries as well as Worker’s of Truth on Cedar Lane. I’ve been going since I was young in the late 1950’s, during the time when there was this man who would be in the cemeteries to offer to say prayers. In the last 60 years I watched the cemeteries decline with overgrowth of vines and trees. This year I completely went past the cemetery because I was looking for the overgrown vines and large trees. Walking into the Workmen’s Circle section I was able to see headstones of relatives that I haven’t been able to see for years. Everything looked great. Broken walkways were fixed and dilapidated trees were cut down. Kudos to all if you.

 

I also was pleasantly surprised to see a database of photos of headstones with their cemetery name and the name of the deceased. I do genealogy so this was a real gold mine.

 

I spoke with Mort Cohen for about 45 minutes to get a better understanding of this project. He explained the project and the amount of work necessary for the cleanup. I appreciate his insight and taking the time to talk with me. I’m hoping to get involved in the genealogy part of this group.

 

Again, thank you all for adopting  these orphaned cemeteries. I will also be sending a donation to help out with expenses.

 

Sincerely,

 

Beverly Melman Weinstein

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Downtown Trenton, 1929

BobeshelaStaff, 1920's and 1930's

Avraham and Rivkah Swern