Cadwalader Park

 

Cadwalader Park     

Cadwalader Park is the largest urban park in the City of Trenton (109.5 acres). Originally the Delaware & Raritan (D&R) Canal State Park flowed.

Dr. Thomas Cadwalader of Philadelphia moved to Trenton in 1743 to become Chief Burgess (Burgess was a British title used in the medieval and early modern period to designate someone of the burgher class. It originally meant a freeman of a borough or burgh but later coming to mean an official of a municipality or a representative in the House of Commons.).

 He bought a large tract of land northwest of town where he built a country home, in 1746.











 

The most notable change to this land came between 1832 and 1834 when the feeder for the D&R canal company constructed a canal to supply water from the Delaware River . A bridge crossed the canal near Cadwallader’s house.

 


 

 




 Figure 8 World War 1 Commemorative

Cadwallader’s property sold off in various parcels after 1776 and in 1841, Henry McCall bought a parcel of this land that included most of the current park.

 

McCall hired architect, John Notman, of Philadelphia to build him a house, which he called Ellarslie. It is an Italianate villa with large piazzas on the west and south side intended to take advantage of a view down the slope to the Delaware. The property also featured landscaping with specimen trees and a tree-lined entry drive, which came from West State Street and crossed the D&R feeder canal.

Planning the Park’s Development

McCall sold his property to George Farlee in 1881. Farlee subdivided some of the land across the current Stuyvesant Avenue north of the park into lots for a residential neighborhood called Hillcrest. In 1888, Farlee put the remaining eighty acres, including  Ellarslie and a few outbuildings up for sale. The City of Trenton was looking for land for a park and acquired the property for $50,000. The property transferred to the City on May 22, 1888. Five days after the City purchased the estate.

 

          Thousands of Trentonians showed up to inspect their new park. This is particularly impressive when one considers that many of them walked there from downtown Trenton. For those who could afford the fare, Trenton had horse-drawn streetcars that ran on Spring Street as far as Prospect, but its riders had to hike the rest of the way.

In 1892, the horse-car line extended from Prospect Street out West State Street to the Park. On July 4th of that year, an astonishing 12,000 people visited the newly accessible Park. The first electric trolley car made the trip two years later.

Initial improvements simply added park features, such as benches, tables, and a temporary bandstand, or demolished agrarian estate features, such as the fences. The Ellarslie residence converted into space for a natural history museum and a refectory. Citizens began to donate small animals and birds to the park, thus establishing a menagerie. The old stable and other outbuildings converted to accommodate this “zoological garden” and the variety of animals grew to include larger animals such as deer, monkeys, and a black bear cub, brought to the park by Edmund Hill, a baker, caterer, diarist and civic leader in Trenton.








 Figure 8 Statue of John A. Roebling

 

Discussions among Hill and other  Trenton civic leaders led to the engagement of Frederick Law Olmsted’s firm to design a park in 1890. Olmsted was the premier park designer in the United States and is best known as the designer, with Calvert Vaux, of Central Park in New York City. For Cadwalader Park, Olmsted prepared plans for pedestrian paths and carriage drives by which the scenery of the park maximized the leisure and tranquility intended. Lawns and groves surrounding the Ellarslie mansion located in the heart of the park. Ellarslie formed a central element of the plan. Olmsted wanted to turn the mansion into a restaurant for park patrons and add a large vine-covered trellis next to the building.



Within this guideguide there are more than 250 projects designed by the various iterations of the Olmsted firm, from seminal works by Olmsted, Sr., to the local parks and campuses that impactimpact on our daily lives. The Olmsted firm shaped the continent from coast-to-coast, from Vancouver, Canada, to Lake Wales, Florida. The bicentennial of Olmsted, Sr.'s birth, provides an opportunity to reflect on this extraordinary and influential legacy and the lasting impact of his core tenet: designed with democracy and democratic values in mind. Olmsted firm's work intended to be free and open to the public, and their benefits were available to everyone.

https://www.tclf.org/places/view-city-and-regional-guides/new-whats-out-there-olmsted/olmsted-landscape-legacy

In 1892, the horse-car line extended from Prospect Street out West State Street to the Park. On July 4 of that year, an astonishing 12,000 people visited the newly accessible Park. The first electric trolley car made the trip two years later.

Discussions among Hill and other  Trenton civic leaders led to the engagement of Frederick Law Olmsted’s firm to design a park in 1890. Olmsted was the premier park designer in the United States and is best known as the designer, with Calvert Vaux, of Central Park in New York City. For Cadwalader Park, Olmsted prepared plans for pedestrian paths and carriage drives so that park attendees could enjoy the location and type of vegetation and trees, and lawns and groves surrounding the Ellarslie mansion located in the heart of the park. Ellarslie formed a central element of the plan. Olmsted wanted to turn the mansion into a restaurant for park patrons and add a large vine-covered trellis next to the building. He created an approach to the mansion from the new entrance to the park on Parkside Ave. The park plan also featured a concert grove – a meadow designed for both carriages and pedestrians to attend concerts in a bandshell.







 

Figure 10 Olmstead Firm Design Of Park

The ravine just west of Parkside Avenue, where Olmsted sited the new main entrance to the park, received attention during the early years of the park. This was one of the areas that Olmsted urged the city to acquire to fill out the park boundaries beyond the property acquired from George Farlee in 1888.

John L. Cadwalader and his family gave the seven-acre ravine area to the city in the fall of 1891. The development of this section intertwined with the Cadwalader family’s development of Cadwalader Heights on the other side of Parkside Avenue.

 

Initial improvements added park features, such as benches, tables, and a temporary bandstand, or demolished agrarian estate features, such as fences. The Ellarslie residence converted into space for a natural history museum and a refectory. Citizens began to donate small animals and birds to the Park, to establish a menagerie. The old stable and other outbuildings converted to accommodate this "zoological garden," and the variety of animals grew to include larger animals such as deer, monkeys, and a black bear cub, brought to the Park by Edmund Hill, a baker, caterer, diarist and civic leader in Trenton.

Discussions among Hill and other  Trenton civic leaders led to the hiring of Frederick Law Olmsted's firm to design a park in 1890. Olmsted was the premier park designer in the United States and was best known as the designer, with Calvert Vaux, of Central Park in New York City.

For Cadwalader Park, Olmsted prepared plans for pedestrian paths and carriage drives by which the scenery of the Park maximized the leisure and tranquility intended. Lawns and groves surround the Ellerslie mansion in the heart of the Park. Ellarslie formed a central element of the plan. Olmsted wanted to turn the mansion into a restaurant for park patrons and add a sizeable vine-covered trellis next to the building. He created an approach to the mansion from the new entrance to the Park on Parkside Ave. The park plan also featured a concert grove – a meadow designed for carriages and pedestrians to attend concerts in a bandshell.

Initial Olmstead Firm Design Of Park

The ravine just west of Parkside Avenue, where Olmsted sited the new main entrance to the Park, received a large amount of attention during the early years of the Park. This was one of the areas that Olmsted urged the City to acquire to fill out the park boundaries beyond the property acquired from George Farlee in 1888.

John L. Cadwalader and his family gave the seven-acre ravine area to the City in the fall of 1891. The development of this section intertwined with the Cadwalader family's development of Cadwalader Heights on the other side of Parkside Avenue. (See the website for more information on the Cadwalader Heights neighborhood.)

The Park's Construction

Construction of the Park with Olmsted's guidance began soon after he received the commission in  1890. He and his son, John C. Olmsted, Jr.,  offered suggestions incorporated into working drawings.

Olmsted designed the Park on Parkside  Avenue entrance with a bridge over the stream and the "rustic stone parapet" along the eastern ravine. In 1891, an entrance appeared.

The northwest corner of the Park, with the ball fields and a large pond, developed with the acquisition of the land in 1926.

In 1892, a new city administration opposed toopposed expenditures for parks came into power, and Olmsted's involvement ceased until 1910.

 

Figure 11 Scenic Vista


Figure 12 Rock Garden


It was during this time that the City built the deer paddock (against Olmsted's wishes) on the western side of the Park (the barns went up in 1913), a statutestatue of George Washington resided in the Park (later moved to Mill Hill Park), as well a statue a of John Roebling. As part of the Park Commission's Report, the 1906 Annual Report of the City of Trenton contains a list of the animals in the Park menagerie. At one point, the Cadwalader Park Zoo even boasted a lion, but the roaring kept nearby residents awake at night, and the lion had to go.

The Cadwalader Park's first black bear, named Kitty Hill in honor of Edmund Hill, was young but committed to freedom. When she arrived at the train station on Clinton Avenue, Kitty broke out of her crate and ran amok in Mercer Cemetery.

The Park's last bear, Briar Patch, lived longer in captivity than any other black bear. Briar Patch died in 1983, and the burial is just behind the bear pit.

Olmsted's firm did have some continued involvement with the development of the Park below the Canal from 1910-1911, but the City abandoned many parts of the plan.

Cadwalader Park in the 1920s

The original entrance to the Park was a tree-lined path known as Lover's Lane that ran from West State Street up a sloping hill to the D&R Canal feeder. At the top of Lover's Lane, park visitors had to dash across the Belvidere Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks and then cross a small bridge over the Canal Feeder to enter the Park. The City recognized the dangers of this situation, and in 1910 the road tunneled under the Canal, and Parkside Avenue extended to State Street. The 1910 road Canal feeder is still in use today. In 1925, the park employee dissembled the bridge over the D&R canal. The Parkside entrance became the main entrance of the Park. In the photo above, Lover's Lane is still visible as the tree-lined road on the lower-left side of the picture. The railroad tracks travel along the south side of the Canal, but the bridge is no longer there. The Parkside Avenue tunnel is also partly visible in the lower-right corner of the photo. Ballfields, tennis, and basketball courts appeared on either side of Lover's Lane in 1967. A new bridge across the Canal Feeder 1982 to connect Cadwalader Park to the D&R Greenway State Park replaced the railroad tracks.

Figure 13 Leisure


Figure 14 Graham Holmes's 1931 painting of the Bandshell in the Park


with a more substantial traditional band shell structure replaced the original pavilion built for concerts under Olmsted in 1913. The exterior of the band shell was white, and the domed backdrop was sky blue. It served as the all-purpose stage for weekly concerts, events, and ceremonies in the Park.


Figure 15 Original Bandstand


 

The band's shell burned down in 1967 during an unintentionally spectacular production of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

 

Cadwalader Park Carousel

Growing up in Trenton has long included memories of the playground in Cadwalader Park. The playground featured a merry-go-round, swings, and pony rides in its early years. Later, the Horan family held the concession for rides in the playground for over 30 years. For fifteen cents a ride or four for fifty cents, kids lined up to ride the airplane swings, the Kiddie Whirl, the fire engines, or the merry-go-round.




















Figure 16 Cadwalader Park Carousel


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comments for Sept 2024

PROGRESS CLUB (Forerunner of Greenacres)